Saturday, November 17, 2007

CAMP / ROCKY SHORE


CAMP

In Term 1, we went to an island for school camp.

There were some great activities at camp, such as, high ropes and flying kiwi, where you ran and as your classmates ran forward with your rope (hooked over a log way up high) then you flew upwards! It was my favourite activity. I also enjoyed snorkelling. We didn't see any fish, but I liked the experience. At camp the food was great, and the staff were really friendly.

We searched in rock pools for any rocky shore creatures on the beach.


TUESDAY

On Tuesday the ferry trip was calm. When we landed on the island we had to walk 6 kilometres! It took forever! When we arrived at camp on another island (a bridge joined the two islands) we were all very tired. We got straight into the activities. Our first one was not very exciting. There was a low rock climbing wall and materials to make a collage, but that was all. Next came the high ropes. They didn't scare me one little bit. They were about ten metres high, but I knew that I was harnessed on. The first one was a log. I had 4 attempts. I can now run across it without using my hands. The second one was a two wire bridge. I had one turn. The third one was a wire to walk on with rope from above to hold on to, every metre. When I saw how high it was, I actually felt a little scared. But I told myself not to look down........and I made it! I thought that I'd try it again so I coiuld do it with confidence. And I could! Dinner was nachos. Yum!


WEDNESDAY

Good Morning! Breakfast was cereal, toast and spaghetti. Some activities we did today were snorkelling (I dived down to the bottom of the sea even though I was really scared!), flying kiwi, and survivor / problem solving. Survivor was a huge obstacle course involving tyres over a mud pond, a giant jigsaw puzzle, bosun's chair (where you had to pull a rope, to move the chair, to get your team mates from A to B), jumping up a wall, The Great Roll Of China (a huge wooden wheel that your team mates pushed to get you over to the other side) and a bucket hanging on the high end of a see-saw with holes in the bottom. You had to pour water in and try to get the see-saw to go down. (The key is to tip 6 icecream containers full of water into the bucket at the same time.)


THURSDAY

It was pouring wet. So I missed out on kayaking and rockclimbing! What a shame! Instead, we did an indoor rotation. The people in the dining room sketched with pencils and charcoal. In the museum we did brain teasers. Here's a few.

H|E|A|D = headquarters!

Ban ana = banana split!

SIDE SIDE = side by side

nme SURROUNDED nme = surrounded by enemies!

nme

HhAaNnDd = hand in hand!

chair = high chair!

______

We also played games like under - over and musical statues. In the hall, there was a pretend wedding. The girls had to make a toilet paper dress for the bride and the boys had to make a suit for the groom using newspaper.

That night was movie night. We munched on popcorn and watched 'Over the Hedge'.



Camp Goals and Reflections

What are you most looking forward to at camp? I am most looking forward to High Ropes and the flying fox. I love heights. Usually.

What are you most worried about? Nothing at all!!!

1. On camp I want to develop confidence in the ocean.

When we were snorkelling, I was a little bit scared, I didn't like the ocean much, but I dived down to the bottom and had a look. However, I needed a lot of persuasion and encouragement.

2. On camp, I want to have fun and no worries.
I had heaps of fun! Everything was so simple and enjoyable.

3. On camp, I want to be a good team member.
I encouraged all my team members and we worked well together, especially in Problem Solving and Survivor, where we learnt that you needed your team a lot.

Camp Evaluation

Describe your group's greatest strength...Our group's greatest strength was that everyone had a go at everything, and we all encouraged each other. Everyone tried. We hung in there. No one sat out.

What could your group have improved in? Our group could have improved in taking turns. Some people would always go first. Also, in the auctions, the same person bid every night. We could have shared the position.

Self Evaluation

1 = poor | 2 = fair | 3 = okay | 4 = good | 5 = very good | 6 = excellent

I gained confidence - 4
I joined in fully in activities - 6
I joined in fully with group duties - 5
I helped others - 5
I showed respect for others - 5
I was independent away from home - 6
I showed initiative - 5
I tried my hardest in all that I did - 6+

Activity Evaluation


1 = poor | 2 = fair | 3 = okay | 4 = good | 5 = very good | 6 = excellent

Snorkelling - 4
High Ropes - 6+
Problem Solving - 4
Rocky Shore - 4
Hall Games - 5
Survivor - 6
Flying Kiwi - 6+++*

* The Flying Kiwi


My favourite activity at camp was the flying kiwi. On Wednesday, groups 2 & 3 went to the High Ropes course.
First we got a harness and a helmet. When we were ready, our instructor explained what was going to happen. Someone went first. He was the kiwi. The adults strapped him onto the rope.He had to have a second harness as well. Our instructor asked him, "Kiwi! Ready?" The kiwi said yes. Then she asked us, the wings, "Wings! Ready?"
"Yes!" We were holding a rope that went around a post and back to the kiwi so when we ran forwards with the rope, the kiwi went up. "1 2 3! GO!"
On 1, the kiwi ran. On 2, the kiwi ran faster. On 3, we pulled the rope. The kiwi ran.. and flew! i couldn't wait until it was my turn. Then it was. I was strapped up. "Kiwi! Ready?"
"Yes!" I called.
"Wings! Ready?"
"Yes!" the others replied. I ran. I ran faster. I sprinted, trying to touch the cone before I was pulled up and then.. I was soaring like a bird! It was so cool! One of the best things I've ever done.

Camp Menu


Back at school, we had to design a menu for camp from as list with prices. We then had to total the cost and see if we could afford it.

BREAKFAST 1

Weetbix $3.50
Milk $2.65
Coco Pops $6.75
Raro $1.15
Sugar $2.45

MORNING TEA 1

Plain biscuits $2.10
Raro $1.15

LUNCH 1

Buns $3.45
Ham $2.65
Lettuce $2.00
Tomatoes $3.25
Orange Juice $2.50

AFTERNOON TEA 1

Fancy biscuits $4.45
Orange Juice $2.50

DINNER 1

Sausages (x2) $11.20
Potatoes $4.80
Mixed Vegetables $6.50
Bread $2.65

SUPPER 1

Milo $3.50
Fancy biscuits $4.45

BREAKFAST 2

Pancakes $6.75
Bread $2.65
Jam $3.20
Honey $2.65
Butter $3.75
Marmite $1.95

MORNING TEA 2

Watermelon $4.00
Raro $1.15

LUNCH 2

Grapes $13.50
Oranges $5.50
Pie (x8) $14.00

AFTERNOON TEA 2

Grapes $13.50
Apples $5.00
Bananas $6.00
Orange Juice $2.50

DINNER 2

Steak (x8) $16.00
Chicken $8.95
Lettuce $2.00
Tomatoes $3.25

SUPPER 2

Milo $3.50
Carrots $4.60

TOTAL = $188.65

Camp Thinking Hats



WHITE HAT
What are the facts?

* Thursday was wet.
* We went for a run each morning.
* One morning we did Jump Jam instead.
* The bride's dress was made out of toilet paper.
* The groom's suit was made out of newspaper.

YELLOW HAT
What were the good things?

* There was never a boring moment.
* I didn't get sick until the last day.
* I got to sleep in the same dormitory as my friends.
* It was sunny on Tuesday.
* High Ropes was our second activity.
* It was sunny on Friday.
* The food was delicious.

BLACK HAT
What were the bad things?

* Thursday's activities were cancelled because it was raining.
* We didn't see any fish in snorkelling because it was murky.
* We had to wait ages before we could eat.
* My group never won anything in the auction.
* I got sick.

RED HAT
What are my feelings about camp?

* We were very cramped when we were eating.
* The dining room was very small.
* We had to wait ages before we could eat.
* Camp was a different environment to what I was used to.
* I loved the setting of the campsite.
* I loved being close to the sea.

GREEN HAT
What could be improved?

* Tables and benches lengthened.
* Bigger dining room.
* More spaced out serving counters.

BLUE HAT
What types of thinking did you have to use?

* Positive thinking. We had to always be positive, otherwise, our team wouldn't work.
* Problem Solving. We had to think of many strategies, based on everybody's size, ability and strength.
* Team thinking. We had to agree on a lot.


ROCKY SHORE

In term 1, we studied the rocky shore. We each chose a living organism from the rocky shore and did an investigation. here is mine:


Topic: Sea Anemones.

1. Mind mapping.

HABITAT
* rockpools
* seashore
* sea bed (research this!)
* beach

FOOD
* If something touches it, i.e your finger, it curls up, thinking you are food.

COLOUR
* Sea Anemones are colourful.

2. What I know and what I want to know.

WHAT I KNOW
* Sea anemones capture their food with their tentacles by enclosing it.
* They are found in rockpools.
* They can be different colours.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW
1. How does a sea anemone eat, after the prey is trapped?
2. Where does the prey go then? What happens to it?
3. What eats sea anemones?
4. What do sea anemones eat?
5. What tidal zone do you find them in?
6. Why are sea anemones coloured when most creatures are camouflaged?
7. How does a sea anemone adapt to its habitat and what special features does it have?

3. Resources

RESOURCES
* Library books
* Internet

I USED...
* newspaper article
* www.teara.govt.nz/EarthSeaandSky/Sealife/CoralsAnemonesandjellyfish
* Nature Watching at the Beach (book)
* Seashore Secrets (book)
* The Penguin Natural World of New Zealand (book)

4. Keywords

KEYWORDS
* predator
* prey
* tentacles
* Inter tidal zone creatures
* sting
* Cnidarians

HEADINGS
* Cnidarians
* Coelenterates
* Rocky shore creatures
* Sea anemones

5. Recording / Notemaking

ROCKY SHORE CREATURES BRAINSTORM
* periwinkle
* chiton
* sea anemone
* hermit crab
* sea horse
* limpet
* sea lettuce
* rock oyster
* rock crab
* sea cucumber
* cats eye snail
* lichen
* mussels
* starfish
* sea urchin
* sponge
* barnacles
* Neptunes Necklace
* warty sea slug
* shrimp

ROCKY SHORE CREATURES MINDMAP

STARFISH
* cushion starfish
* spiny starfish

SHRIMPS
* pink shrimp
* common shrimp

SHELLFISH
* cats eye snail
* periwinkle snail
* limpet
* barnacle
* mussel

FISH
* spectacles triplefin
* variable triplefin

CRABS
* hermit crab
* rock crab
* decorator crab

6. Presentation

HOW WILL I PRESENT MY WRITTEN INFORMATION?
In a photo album with lots of pictures too.

7. Notes

SEA ANEMONES - INSACTINIA TENABROSA
* Sea Anemones (or SA) live in rockpools in the shade of overhanging rocks and boulders.
* At low tide, SA tuck their tentacles in.
* The common red ones then look like plums.
* They eat sandhoppers.
* Their bodies are like sacks.
* They stuff food into their mouths with their tentacles.
* The tentacles have a sting which paralyses their prey.
* A SA's mouth is the only exit of a SA, so it spits waste from it's food out of its mouth.
* There are at least 110 different species of SA, maybe 50 more.
* Most SA stay still.
* However, some SA move, they walk on their tentacles.
* Can reproduce by splitting and regenerating.
* Common red anemone - Insactinia Tenabrosa.
* Intertidal zone.
* Upside down relatives of jellyfish.
* Known as 'flowers of the sea.'
* Are not plants, they are animals.
* When taken out of the water, SA cover themselves with stones e.t.c.
* They do this to protect themselves from sun and wind.
* SA eat shrimps and plankton.
* Eating Process: paralyse prey, pull in prey, eat prey, spit out waste through mouth.

8. Q&A

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1. How does a sea anemone eat? It waves its tentacles to attract prey. Unsuspecting prey swims by. SA paralyses it and pulls it in. It then eats its prey and spits out the leftovers.

2. What eats sea anemones? Sea stars and big fish.

3. What do sea anemones eat? Plankton, shrimps and sandhoppers.

4. What special features do sea anemones have? Tentacles to attract prey and sting them, and colour to attract their prey.

5. Why are sea anemones coloured when most creatures are camouflaged? Probably to attract prey, just like normal flowers have bright colours to attract bees and other insects.

6. What tidal zone do sea anemones belong in? Intertidal zone.

7. How do sea anemones protect themselves? When taken out of the water, a sea anemone covers itself with stones e.t.c. to protect itself from sun and wind.
____________________________________________________________________

After this investigation, we all investigated starfish...

1. Deciding (Circle Map)

STARFISH
* beach
* rockpools
* echinoderm
* 5 legs
* sea
* star
* suckers
* seagulls

2. Finding (Know, what, learn)

WHAT I KNOW
* A starfish is an echinoderm.
* They take their stomach out to eat.
* You can find them in rockpools by the sea.
* They need water.
* They have a hard shell with suckers on them.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW
* Where are a starfish's senses?
* Can starfish live in fresh water?
* How do you distinguish different kinds of starfish?
* What do starfish eat?
* How do starfish protect themselves?

WHAT I HAVE LEARNT
* Starfish have no eyes.
* Stegnatsus Inflatus cushion star is smooth, other cushion stars are rough.
* They eat bivalves, shellfish, small animals, oysters, sea urchins and snails.

WHAT SORT OF INFORMATION DO I WANT?
* Pictures
* Explanations
* Descriptions
* Facts

WHERE COULD I GO TO GET THIS INFORMATION?
* Books
* Internet
* Library
* People

3. Using (Sources)

QUESTION 1
Source: The Lifesize Guide to the New Zealand Beach (book)

QUESTION 2
Source: People.

QUESTION 3
Source: Seashore Secrets (book)
Source: Nature Watching at the Beach (book)

QUESTION 4
Source: The Concise Children's Encyclopedia.
Source: www.teara.govt.nz

QUESTION 5
Source:
www.teara.govt.nz

4. Recording (Bullet points)

NOTES
* No eyes, feel with arms, mouth or underside of body.
* Starfish cannot live in freshwater. Not for long, anyway.
*
Stegnatsus Inflatus cushion star - 100 mm + across!
*
Stegnatsus Inflatus cushion star - orange and black or green or brown and cream.
* Common cushion star - grey blue or dull orange brown.
* Starfish eat bivalves, snails, oysters, shellfish, sea urchins and other small animals.
* Starfish protect themselves by sticking onto rocks, and also, their roughish, spiny skin.

5. Evaluating (Reflections)

I am a better researcher now because I've learnt the steps,* memorized them and completed them.

* The steps of research are
1. Deciding
2. Finding
3. Using
4. Recording
5. Presenting
6. Evaluating

Did I complete each stage of research before moving on? No.
Did I use a range of sources? Yes.
Did I acknowledge all my sources of information? Yes.
The most interesting thing I learnt was the interesting names that starfish have, e.g,
Stegnatsus Inflatus!
Next time I will make sure I complete each step before moving on.
Indicate how happy you are with your finished product (1 - not happy at all, 5 - so happy!) = 4

ROCKY SHORE CREATURES

CRUSTACEANS
* Hermit crab
* Crab
* Decorator crab

ECHINODERMS
* Cushion star
* Starfish
* Brittle star
* Sea urchin

WORMS

TUNICATES
* Sea squirt
* Sea tulip

COELENTERATES
* Camouflage anemone
* Obelia
* Red sea anemone
* Jellyfish

SPONGES
* Orange golf ball sponge
* Finger sponge

ALGAE
* Velvet weed
* Sea lettuce
* Bull kelp

MOLLUSCS
* Octopus
* Mussel
* Limpet
* Paua
* Chiton
* Cats eye snail
* Squid


No comments: